Do I have any rights to have my name added to my daughter’s birth certificate and have her surname changed to mine, if I am the paternity test proven father and pay all my support on time?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you are the father of the minor child that you are writng about you can file a petition with the court seeking what you desire. You have to serve all interested parties as to the motion including the mother. You also have to publish the application once a week for a month.

The court then makes the decision on the petition. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.