do I have any legal rights to my mother’s property after taking care of her for 6 years?

moved into her home while my father was still living. their health was such that they could no longer live in their home without help. Dad has been gone for over 4 years. i have a brother and a sister who have not been active in the care of my parents. mother is 93. I have been full time care giver for more that 6 years without income nor social life. I am 66 years old.

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

While you caring for your parents is commendable, legally it is not automatically compensable. Unless your mother has made provsions for this in her Will or otherwise, you are only entitled to what her current Will provides or what state law provides if she has no Will. Possibly, you can arrange to have her transfer the property to you now if she is of sound mind.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately the law does not recognize your voluntary choice to care for your mother as giving you any rights to her property. Certainly, your mother could give you money or other property now, or could write a will leaving you her property (or at least leaving you more than your siblings get), but she would have to voluntarily do that: your morally commendable actions do not give you any legal rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.