Do I have any legal right to break my lease if my landlord is dating my ex, who is also her subordinate/coworker?

She raised my rent during this time, moreso than the year before. She had an employee enter my apartment without providing any notice to me, twice. I do not trust her. I have seen random people go into office after hours without any supervision.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can only ask a court to render your lease null and void  - i.e., you can not do it yourself - if your landlord has breached the lease in some way.  This could be entering the apartment with out proper notice (akin to a claim of harrassment) or a breach of the warranty of habitability, etc.  Seek help with this.  Bring the lease.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.