Do I have any legal recourse if my step-mother admittedly changed my father’s Will after his death to benefit her and her children?

His wife’s friend was the executor of the Will. I unfortunately do not have a copy of the original that my dad signed and went to his grave thinking was in force. My sister saw the “revised” Will and said that it was obvious that the first 2 pages were changed. The color of the paper was different (newer), the fonts were different, and the third page that my dad signed stated Page 3 of 3 when the first 2 pages did not state Page 1 of 3, etc.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your father's Will was changed by a third person after his death, you should consult with a Wills and trust attorney about the situation so that an investigation can be made to determine whether or not a Will contest is in order.

No one can legally change a Will of a person other than the person for whom the document is signed. If you have a copy of the revised Will but not the original one, be sure to take it with you in your consultation with the suggested attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.