Do I have a right to sue a poster on for libel information that defamed me

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Business Law, Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have the right to sue them, but there may be a few problems.  You'll have to find out the person's actual name and address, to put into the complaint and to serve it on them.  You'll have to sue the person in his or her home state, unless you can prove some contact with your state (this is a fairly technical lawyer's issue, jurisdiction over the person).  And even if you prove damages and win a judgment, you'll have to collect, which isn't always easy.  If you need a lawyer in any state, not just your own, you can look at our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.