Do i have a legal right to the properties?

My blood uncle and my aunt marriedpassed away 2 weeks from each other. They had several properties and no will. They didn’t have any children but raised my dad since a child and considered him their kid and me and my sisters their grand children. Most or all of the properties belong to my blood uncle, he’s the one who had the money but not sure who name the properties are in. My uncle passed away first, and then my aunt. Since my aunt passed away last, her side of the family

Asked on January 1, 2019 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If your uncle was the one your father and you were related to by blood and he passed away first, you have no right to the estate. When he died, his wife (your aunt, a non-blood relation) inherited; when she then passed, if she had no will, her estate goes to her blood family. That she raised your father is not relevant unless she actually had adopted him: only blood relations or adoption create a right to inherit when there is no will leaving property or assets to someone. Since your father was not legally "family" of your aunt, he--and therefore you--have no inheritance rights from her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.