Do I have a legal case?

I was sexual assaulted at my job by a manager. I chose not to file a report because I wanted to see if the general manger would do the right thing, the general manger gave the manager a warning and he was able to keep his job, he brushed it off trying to save his business because the manager does a lot around the buisness, I quit because I no longer feel comfortable working there. I loved my job and now I’m suffering and I feel like they got away with it. I feel like the general manager should have done something, the general manager is not protecting his employees, and I feel like the manger that sexual assaulted me should have been fired. The general manger acted like nothing happened.

Asked on May 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Absent extenuating circumstances, you have no case against your employer regarding this assualt; it was in no way negligent or otherwise responsible for it. That having been said, you can (and should) file a criminal complaint against this co-worker. Additionally, you can sue them in civil court for your any injuries and medical costs.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You certainly have both a criminal case (that is, you can and should press charges) and a civil case (you can sue for your injuries and medical costs) *your attacker.* You do not have a case against your employer: it is NOT the employer's job to protect employees from criminal assaults, and they are not responsible for doing this: it's the police who protect from criminal assaults. It is the police to whom you should be going.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.