Do I have a gender biased discrimination case?

Wanted to leave my Fortune500 company; trained for a different line of work for a week during vacation time of my initial employer. A photo was taken and thanks to social media my company noticed me. Came back from vacation; wanted to give notice they confronted me and wanted me to “quit” the other company, which under their terms is considered a competition (yes I had signed non-compete). I explained why I did it and feel like not being appreciated by manager and the last 2-3 promos were handed over to woman. We are just 2 senior male employees in the department I quit and now they want to fire me

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may have a claim for gender discrimination for being passed over for promotions, if there were no non-discriminatory reasons for the women to get those promotions instead of you and the other male. (If there were some reasonable grounds to give the women promotions instead of you--e.g. better reviews; their department did better vs. financial targets; they had more time in service or better credentials; etc--then you would not have a claim.)

You would most likely not have a claim for being terminated if  you violated a non-competition agreement, however.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.