Do I have a case I was wrongfully fired!

Upon hire my employer knew of my
medical condition and knew I could not
handle a full time schedule. They
complied at first but then later they gave
me an ultimatum to go partial or full time
I asked for 30-35 hrs a week they refused
to accommodate me. The day I got fired I
was sick and only had 9 abscess and
rule is you could miss 10 days an then
you are fired. I offered to work a half a
day they denied me and fired me. I
offered doctors notes they refused them.
Do I have a case?

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Montana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Hours are actually one of the areas where employers do *not* have to accommodate employees--that is because a reasonable accommodation is some minor change in rules/procedures which is not too disruptive, or some assistive technology which is not too expensive, which lets you to the job for all the hours the employer requires. The employer is allowed to define the hours of you job: if you can't or won't work those hours, even if the reason is due to a medical condition, they may terminate you. They do not have to let you define your own hours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.