Do I have a case for wrongful termination?

A couple of weeks ago, the new production manager told me I had to buy bifocals (because apparently my reading glasses weren’t good enough) and then wear them from the time I come in until the time I leave for the day (starting today). I complied and bought new glasses and brought them to work and showed proof of my prescription. I was fired a few hours later. I feel like he’s been singling me out since he started a few months ago and I got passed for a well deserved promotion. Then I was forced to train the replacement. Also, I am the only black woman working. Was this wrong?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It may well be wrong, if the negative or discriminatory actions (being passed over for promotion; termination) were based on any of the following:

* Your gender or sex

* Your race

* Your age (if you are over 40)

The issue is factual: for example, even if you are the only black woman working there and you feel you did a good job, if there were performance issues, insubordination, etc., or a restructuring of positions or responsibilities, that could provide valid basis for termination. What you write about with thee glasses, however, suggests that there was not such a valid basis, and it would be well worth your while to consult with an employment attorney to discuss the situation and your options in depth. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.