Do I have a case against a supervisor who doesn’t distribute work hours fairly?

I’ts not racial discrimination cause guys he favors are black and Mexican. More senior employees however have mentioned that there are “2 guys” never get days off without pay while the rest of us get unpaid days off consistently. One seasoned employee had to resign and get a job elsewhere to support his family. He couldn’t do it with the hours cut.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is no illegal discrimination, there would be no cause of action--when discrimination is not involved, employers are allowed to be unfair and to favor certain employees over others.

However, if you are white or asian, then there may be racial discrimination if the employer favors African Americans or Mexican/hispanic employees. Members of the racial majority, for example, can be the victims of illegal discrimination. If the favored employees are a different race than the disfavored employees, there may be illegal discrimination, and you should contact your state equal rights or civil rights agency.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.