What to do if my pre-employment medical tests are not being made available to me?

I received pre-employment testing and bloodwork at a medical center and now they are not giving me copies of the results. They say they sent the originals to the employer. The CA medical boards states they have a responsibility by law to give me a copy of my records and they are supposed to retain my medical records for at least a year. Do I have a case? I am a nurse and I also feel like the employer hasn’t given me shifts because of the complaint. I could be wrong about that.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should file a complaint with the California Medical Board and cite to HIPAA violations in additional to other causes of action for failing to give you the results of your medical tests. Further, if your employer is not giving you shifts and you can definitely attribute that to your complaint about obtaining your medical test results, then you should consider filing a complaint with your state's Department of Labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission about any possible discrimination. Your employer cannot fire you in retaliation but keep in mind that California is an at-will state and you could be fired with or without notice and with or without cause.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.