Do I get any of my late mother’s pension?

I’m 35 years old and unemployed. My mom passed away last month from uterine cancer, blood clots and kidney failure. The reason

for this email is her name was on the bills, checking accounts, mortgage account, etc. She used to pay the bills with her pension. She and my dad divorced 20 years ago and she never remarried. My father remarried but is divorced again. I have no brothers or sisters. I’m not married nor do I have any kids. Is there anyway you can help me or at least point me in the right direction?

Asked on January 2, 2018 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no inherent legal right to receive a deceased parent's pension. It is *possible*, but unlikely, that this particular pension said that if the person passed away, an adult child would get the pension, though that is much more common for a spouse or a minor child to be eligible to keep receiving it (and even that is not common--it's just more common). Only if the terms of *this* pension have it keep coming to you will you receive it. Therefore, you should contact the pension itself (look at the documents she received from it for contact information) to see if there is any chance you will continue to get it.
The above is about a true pension. A 401(k) or IRA you would inherit, together with any other living siblings of yours (if any), but you would need to go through the probate court to get legal title to it and authority over the account(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.