Do I file for nondisclosure of a felony even if charge was reduced to misdemeanor?

Charged with aggr assault plead to misdemeanor assault and completed probation on deferred adjudication. I need to know if I can file for nondisclosure of the misdemeanor or do i have to file under the origional charge- felony?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If what you plead guilty to was a misdemeanor, then you only have to disclose the misdemeanor conviction. Be mindful that a deferred adjudication is where the criminal offense will be dismissed altogether is you successfully complete the court ordered probation, so you should not have a record of this at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.