Do does my credit union have the right to block my account because my mom is behind on payments?

I am 18 and part-time employee of a local store i make all my own money. My money is separate from my mom’s. Now my credit union says that they have the right to block my account, denying me access to the money that I make all because my mom is late sending in our mortgage payment and she is on my account as a 2nd person, just in case I were to get hurt or killed they could access my money. My name is not on that mortgage loan though they kept repeating that because her name is on my account they are blocking my funds. They also say that my money is her money cause her name is on my account

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the account that you are writing about in your question also is in the name of your mother, then technically it is a jointly owned account between you and your mother and not all yours.

Whether or not the credit union is authorized to block access by you or your mother to this account as the result of her being behind on her mortgage payments would need to be determined from reading all documents signed by her as to the loan that she received from the credit union secured by the mortgage on the property.

I suggest that you have a meeting with the manager of the union over the situation you are writing about. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.