Does all eviction paperwork come with the option to answer?

I was served eviction papers but there wasn’t a page for me to answer to the complaint. I went to court and I have until today to pay or the landlord may get a writ.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were served with a summons and complaint for your eviction (unlawful detainer action) the pleadings served upon you do not come with a form for you to answer. You can go online to get a form and print it out with your affirmative defense or better yet, go down to your county law library to seek assistance from the librarian.

Given the fact that you are in a legal action, it would be prudent for you to consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the best way to defend it.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.