If I’m paying alimony and moved to another state where I make about $4500 more a year but am paying a lot more in bills and expenses, can I file to reduce alimony based on having more expenses?

Asked on September 15, 2015 under Family Law


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances such as a change in your financial situation are grounds for a modification of spousal support.  You will need to argue that although your income increased, the increase in expenses has resulted in a lesser amount available for paying spousal support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.