Divorce with an unstable wife.

Married 10 years. Wife is emotionally and financially dependant. Told her I wanted a divorce at the begining of the year. She checked herself in hospital with mental problems. Doctor called me ans asked if I wanted her home. I did. Spent the time since then trying to make it work. Cannot continue and wondering what I can do if when I tell her again I want a divorce she goes back to the hospital. I will not want her to come home.

Asked on June 28, 2009 under Family Law, Colorado


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  You need to see a lawyer and file the divorce papers asap if this is the route you want to take.  Given your wife's dependability on you, she will most likely get to keep the house or at least live there.  If you have kids, this further complicates the location of where you are vs. where she will be.  Your childrens' interests will be a priority.  I suggest that you dicuss these issues with your attorney and figure out what options you have financially and the lilkelihood of you keeping the house over your wife.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.