If I got my green card through my husband and we get divorce before I renew my green card, this will affect me to get my permanent green card?

My husband wants a divorce. I need to renew my temporary green card to a permanent green card this year.

Asked on February 28, 2016 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You may still be eligible to get your permanent green card even if you are divorced if you are able to prove, to the satisfaction of the USCIS officer, that the marriage was bona fide at the time it was entered into and through its termination.  The burden of proof is on you to provide sufficient supporting documentation to make that persuasive argument but it is very common situation.  Just be sure you gather and present all the documentation and evidence you can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.