Divorce-What rights do I have?

If my husband purchased the house before we were married but added my name to the deed during the marriage, am I entitled to a settlement from the house?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Family Law, Missouri


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most cases, this would be considered a gift from your husband to you, of an interest in the house, and that makes the house part of the marital property to be divided in the divorce.

How that would work in your case will depend on a number of things, including the rest of the assets and debts and how much each of you earns.  You need a lawyer to make sure that you get a fair settlement -- or to present your case at trial, if your husband refuses to be reasonable.  One place to find a good family court attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.