What to do if the final court order requires my ex-husband to sign a quit claim and bow he will not return it?

Divorce was final 3 months ago.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  This situation just forces the matter to linger on.  Your ex husband is in violation of the Judge's order and can be held in contempt.  You would have to go back to court to ask the court to hold him in contempt.  If the signing of the deed was also part of your divorce agreement then he is in breach and you also need to request that the court compel him to comply. Now, if he is held in contempt the court can throw him in jail or fine him until he complies.  Please make sure that you yourself have complied with the order and the agreement before you bring the motion before the court.  Otherwise your ex will find something to complain about you too.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.