Divorce w/ alimony request

My mother just received the divorce request from my father, they were married for
approximately 45 years he left her with out a home to live after him being the
main supporter my mother. My father is trying to take advantage of her in the
divorce and leave her with nothing we are not experience with this process and i
dont know how to help her, she has no money to pay for an attorney, is there
anywhere i can look for attorneys that work probono or at a low cost.

Asked on March 16, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can see if your mother qualifies for representation by Legal Aid or see if they can recommend someone to help you. Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where she lives as they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle divorce cases. Finally, contact the local Bar Association in her county because they may have a list of attorneys who will take your mother's ccase "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on her income/circumstances. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.