Divorce settlement.

MY husband and I divorced in July 7 2017, in which the judge ordered him to pay
10,000 on our debt. He has not paid that. I read in your article that I need to
take him back to court what i’d like to know is, since i live in Texas and I have
a court order cant I just file writ of garnishment, or abstract, or writ of
execution and take the money that way?

Asked on December 11, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You need to have a judgement rendered against him for the amount owed to you.  So you would have to sue him for that $10,000.  He is, though, in contempt of the court order and that can being with it a whole other set of punichments.  Motions for contempt must be personally served and can result in jail time for the party held in contempt.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.