What to do about paying out proceeds upon the sale of a house if it instead it went into foreclosure?

In our final judgment I was order to pay an extra 25k to my ex-wife from my 50% share of the proceeds of the house. The house went under foreclosure and there were no proceeds. Now she is taking me to court for the 25K, is she in title to received it?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If it was not your fault to foreclose the house, meaning, you had money but refused to pay mortgage in bad faith, you should explain to the judge about your hardship and request a modification of the judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.