divorce papers were done over a year ago and went to court….wife still hasn’t signed them and won’t….do we need new papers or the ones we have still valid…and how can I get it finalized if she won’t sign them


Asked on March 30, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Ask the court coordinator to set your case for a final hearing.  At that final hearing, ask for the same relief that you have outlined in the final decree.  If she doesn't show, the judge can grant your divorce and sign your proposed order because of her default.  This will keep you from having to prepare a whole new decree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.