Can my husband get a divorce without my agreement?

My husband wants to get a divorce and it’s not something I want to do. He said that even if I don’t sign the papers, it will become official after 6 months since the day he’s going to file it. Is that what the law is like?

Asked on February 29, 2016 under Family Law, Hawaii


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you sign the papers, your husband can obtain a divorce. In other words, the divorce can still move forward; it is called a "divorce by default". Here is a link to a site that will explain further:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.