What to do if my husband lying stating that he does not have my jewelry in his possession?

I got served with divorce papers. Now I need to submit sworn financial statements to the court. My husband is lying on the documents that he has no jewelry in his possession which I received as gift for the wedding. He is claiming that I brought the jewelry with me. I am out of state currently, I left the house once I was served. I brought only a small amount of jewelry with me but he has all of my other jewelry with him. He is lying he has nothing in his possession and I took everything with me. What can I do if he is lying about it on legal documents? How can I claim my jewelry back?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First,  you should make a list of all the jewelry that you believe exist. Then, you should obtain all receipts from credit cards, bank statements and/or the stores in which you purchased it from to evidence your list.

Then serve a written list of questions called interrogatories asking your husband to certify under oath as to his recollection of the jewelry. Following these responses, you can then take a deposition and cross-examine him with all the records that you have regarding the purchase of jewelry that conflict with the answers that he put in response to the interrogatories.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.