If the divorce documents state that I will have sole use and possession of the home, can I change the locks once they are signed?

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can: sole use and--for this purpose, more importantly--possession means that only (and those whom *you* choose) have the right to access the home. Having sole possession of property gives the person with sole possession the right to change locks and otherwise control access. Of course, any belongings in the home that will go to your spouse, you'd have to arrange some opportunity for your spouse to pick them up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.