Where do I get information on divorce and custody?

My marriage is coming to it’s end and I want to file for divorce. We have a 4 month old infant and I’m looking to obtain sole custody. The father is an ex-marine who has threatend my life and my family. He doesn’t help to cover her needs and barely sees his child. I have proof that he is cheating and I also have abuse text messages that he had send me. I have collected pictures of him at times he is suppose to be with our child. I don’t have much income and I am looking for advice in how to handle this situation. what are the steps to obtain sole custody, be legally divorce and the estimated cost.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can try and do it yourself by going to the county courthouse to the law library and figuring it out.  Or you can hire an attorney.  Some attorneys do the work for flat fees but with the issues that you are talking about it would probably be hourly with a retainer.

The costs depends on how obtusive your husband can be and if he would want to drag the proceedings out.


John Ducey


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.