What happens if you divorce after obtaining your green card?

I entered into a marriage with a man who is mentally unstable and physically abusive. After

3 years together I have had enough. I told him after finding him lying and being evasive that I

wanted a divorce. He seems to think that he will cause me to loose my green card, he

logged in as me on my email and emailed himself saying how

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He will not be able to do anything most likely but is simply trying to threaten me.  You should not lose your permanent resident status even if you get divorced.  You should consult with a family law attorney regarding the divorce to understand what your rights are in terms of support and/or division of assets.  As far as immigration, you can also consult with an immigration attorney although I think that as long as you have documentation that the marriage was bona fide at the time it was entered into and through its termination, there should not be any questions or problems.  Keep documentation you had submitted for the first interview and to get the conditional status removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.