If my husband is transitioning to become a woman and changing his legal name, is our

marriage null and void?

We’ve been married for 18 years; I haven’t given him the divorce papers yet.

Asked on November 17, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, your marriage is not null and void.  I can undertsand the turmoil you must feel at this point in time but you should continue with the process of divorce that you have started.  It will be a no fault divorce and no grounds will have to be stated.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.