My husaband is cheating on me. I am an
international student. Can I file for a divorce here?

Asked on September 27, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  Are you both here?  Generally speaking if you meet the residency requirements in Ohio you can file for divorce.  The practical parts of that remain the concern: serving him and having the court obtaining "jurisdiction" to allow them to divorce you.  Then you need to see if divorcing here is an issue in your home country.  In some countries it may not be recongized and you would be committing bigamy.  Go and speak with a local lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.