What to do about a disgruntled former employer?

I recently left my employer of a year for a new opportunity. During that year I was employed as an independent contractor doing skincare services for a spa, as well as reception work. I never signed a non-compete agreement, nor any agreement to give 2 weeks notice. When I told my employer I was leaving I gave her 1 weeks notice, since my new job needed me ASAP. The next day I came in and she cursed at me, saying “you’re full of ****, get your stuff and go. If you steal my clients I will sue you”. Since then she has contacted my new employer claiming I have stolen her property.

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First of all, there are no future employment restrictions put on an employee automatically. There would have to be a separate agreement restricting their employment. Without signing a "non-compete" (an agreement not to enter into the same business), you are free to work for whoever you choose, wherever you choose.

Secondly, giving a 2 week notice is a courtesy; it is not legally required (unless you had an employment agreement, or otherwise, mandating that such notice be given).

Finally, if your employer is knowingly making untruthful remarks about you to others with the intention of harming your reputations, that constitutes slander. You can sue for defamation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.