What are my rights regarding a discrepancy in mileage reported at the time of purchase?

I purchased a car from a dealer 6 months ago. Now I am trying to sell it and paid it off to get the registration and on the registration it states that at the time of purchase the milage was 88,860. This is odd because my mileage now is only 77,011 and it has been driven quite a lot since purchasing it. I think the mileage was rolled back to qualify the car for the certified used car program. What can I do?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under General Practice, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would write the dealership a letter with respect to the discrepancy in mileage that you discovered asking for a written explanantion within a stated period of time. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If you do not receive the response you desire, I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of automotive law to see what legal recourse you may have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.