Iff I did roofing for 2 days and the man is now ignoring my texts and phone calls, what are my options?

I did 2 days of roofing work after responding to a craigslist ad. There was no paperwork involved. All communication we had prior to me working the first day was via text. It has now been a week of the guy ignoring my calls and texts about me getting payed he did respond to me once just never about compensation. From his first name and phone number I did find his company website. Though I recorded the times in my phones, I have no physical record of the hours I have worked. The homeowners did see me at the work site. What options do I have to try to get the money I’m owed?

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your only real option is to sue him for the money. An oral or verbal agreement to pay you for doing work is legal and enforceable, so if he agreed to pay you for doing roofing work and you did the work, you must be paid. You could sue in small claims court, where the filing fee is low and you could act as your own attorney; you would seek to prove, by your own testimony, by any text messages, etc. that he hired you to do the work, what you were supposed to be paid, and that you did do the work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.