Can I be accussed of stealing money even though I have full access to my another’s accounts andhave been payingtheir bills by a verbal agreement?

My mother moved in my with my boyfriend and I 2 months ago. She agreed to pay $600 in rent and $300 towards a car. She’s had me hold onto and use her debit card to pay her bills and buy her food for the past year as she doesn’t drive and I’ve been taking care of her. At the beginning of this month she admitted herself into a psychiatric hospital. I transferred her $900 into my checking account to pay her rent and bills. She’s now threatening to call the cops on me. I have papers where she wrote out what she needs to pay this month, also.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is the possibility from what you have written that you could very well be accused of stealing money from your mother since you have access to her bank accounts and have pulled money from it. However, you state that the money was pulled for your mother's bills and other needs and used for such.

Hopefully you have actual receipts in hand showing what you used the money that you pulled from your mother's bank accounts. I presume that you do not have a power of attorney for your mother. Given the fact that she is in a psychiatric hospital she presumably does not have the mental capacity to sign an power of attorney presently.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.