Diane in Va here , we have decided not to sell our home and someone has a ratified contract on ours how do I get out of it

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh boy -- you have a signed agreed to purchase and sales agreement? This is going to be tough. Read it over -- you may suffer some repercussions from it -- moneys lost or that you have to pay or  depending on the contract and the buyers, you may be forced to sell.  Not sure.

You need to sit down with your broker and figure out your options because only he or she actually has the luxury of having the contract and how far along you are in this process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.