Dental Treatments stopped with out knowledge or consent

My Dentist stopped doing the necessary treatments around a year ago without my
knowledge or consent for periodontal disease, as a result, all my top teeth need
to be pulled and I will need surgery to save the bottom. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on March 21, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You *may* have recourse: if they either 1) had obligated themselves to do the treatments (i.e. you paid for treatments they did not provide), or 2) it would be against reasonable dental practice to not perform these treatments (i.e. any reasonable dentist would have done these treatments, had they examined you and seen the condition of your teeth), then you may have a cause action or claim. 1) above would be more in the nature of breach of contract; 2) would be a malpractice claim. If the out-of-pocket costs of what has to be done now, as a result, are significant, and/or (as I assume) this will have a signficant detrimental impact on your life, then the claim could be substantial. 
The above is a general answer; every situation is evaluated on its own unique details. You should consult with a malpractice attorney in depth about the situation; it would, based on what you write, be worth your while to consult with such an attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.