Deficiency Judgment in Short Sale, WA State

Homeowners 2nd lienholder is slapping a D.J. for remaining balance and will not do a 1099 instead. What are my options so this is not following me around for years?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Washington


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You're either going to have to pay off the deficiency judgment or declare bankruptcy.  I can't see any other choices.

You haven't supplied any of the detailed facts of your situation.  It's possible that an attorney might find something useful, in a full review of the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.