If my landlord failed to appear in court and a capias warrant was issued, how do i collect my money?

My landlord never returned, nor gave reason to withhold, my security deposit. After 6 months went by, I filed a small claim against the realty trust (3 individuals). They did not appear for court nor the payment hearing therefore a capias warrant was issued for the 3 trustees. It has now been another 6 months. What can be done now to collect the money?

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A capias warrant is a warrant issued by a civil court to order some person capable of paying a judgment to do so to the judgment creditor or spend time in jail. If the warrants have been issued by the court concerning your small claims court matter on the defendants/judgment debtors, the warrants need to be served upon them.

I suspect that they have not been. If so, you need to have a process server serve the warrants on these three debtors and if they do not pay you the amount ordered by the court, you will need to file a motion with the court to have an order to show cause hearing held as to them. At the hearing, the court if the money is not paid to you by then can order the debtors to spend time in jail for violating a court order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.