defamation and suspension

What should I do if someone complains about me to the human Resource of the company I works with and without any prove suspends me and tell me I will not be paid till the investigation is over?

Asked on September 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any rights in this case unless and only if you have a written employment agreement (including a union or collective bargaining agreement) which gives you some "due process" or other rights in regard to discipine. Without a contract, you are an employee at will, and your employer may suspend you at will, without any any evidence or proof (e.g. just based on a rumor or allegation), any time they like, for as long as they like.
If you have a contract, you can enforce its protections, including in court, with a "breach of contract" lawsuit, if necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.