Defa mation of Character from previous employer. Should I sue?

I was with my previous employer for almost 5 years and gave my 2 weeks notice before leaving. Now they are needing help and wanted me to return. So I went in to talk to them and they tried to pull my application I just submitted and they could not find it. So they called HR and they said I was listed as not rehirable. The manager I worked for swears he put me in as rehirable. If he can not fix this I am wonder what if anything I can do to clear my name because I know there is nothing on my work history that should look bad.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I very much doubt that you can do anything about this.  Employment is, for most people, "at will."  So as long as you are not being discriminated against for some illegal reason, the company doesn't need a reason to refuse to rehire you, just as they don't need a reason to fire someone.

I don't have all the facts of your case, and I'm not an Indiana lawyer;  the law in your state may be different from others.  All of these things would have to be considered, to give you reliable advice, and you should get that advice from someone in your area.  One place to look for qualified attorneys is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.