Deductions from salaried pay

My coworker recently told me that if she has to take more than a 30 minute lunch away from the office, the time is deducted from her paycheck. She is a salaried manager and we do not have any written policy on file regarding this. All written policies regarding break times refer only to hourly or contract employees. Is this legal? They have also withheld giving her a raise unless she signs a contract agreeing to work for them for a certain period of time, which she had done originally but this expired approximately 2 years ago.

Asked on May 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) It is illegal to dock the pay of a salaried employee for any breaks (including lunch) during the day. If a salaried employee misses an *entire* day, her salary for the week is reduced, but as long as she works during a day, her salary for the day is the same even if she comes in late, leaves early, takes lunch, etc. Salary is unaffected by specific hours worked.
2) It is legal to condition a raise on a contractual agreement to work for a certain period of time, since it is completely at employer discretion whether to give a raise at all. Since the employer can freely decide whetherk and when to give a raise, the employer may put conditions on receiving it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.