Can a debt collector call yourplace of work and reveal thatyou havea legal issue with them?

I am a manager for a big company and we deal with payroll of small business. We have alot of responsibility on behalf of small businesses. This collection agency called into our sales call center and told the agent that I had a legal matter in their office. I have the call recorded since we state all cals arel recorded. The agent from my work (who is in another department all together) contacted me and explained the uncomfortable call. This was embarrassing andI  believe they cannot disclose this type of information to anyone other than me. The agency had my extension that they could have typed in.

Asked on September 29, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Debt collection practices are subject to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act or FDCPA.  Generally, they can call you at your place of work.  What they say and to whom they say it is, however, limited.   You should familiarize yourself with the guidelines since it is unclear exactly what was said here.  You should also be aware that if you ask theta they not contact you at your place of employment you have that right and you should exercise it as soon as you can.  Contact the debt collector and let them know that your employer does not like these type of calls at work and that it could jeopardize your job.  If they continue you can report their actions.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.