If I’m the holder of an F1 visa and am going to marry my girlfriend, should I continue to maintain student status or no?

We have been together for over 7 months; I’ve been in the US for 1 year and 1 month.

Asked on August 18, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should continue to maintain your status until you are actually legally married and file for your adjustment of status on the basis of marriage.  When are you planning to get married?  If you drop your status now, the school will report it to immigration and you may have problems with lack of status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.