What to do if a dealership wants us to come back to renegotiate final agreed price on a new that we already have home for 2 days?

We bought a new car and signed the payment agreement as you usually do but now, 2 days later, we got a call from the dealership saying all the numbers were messed up and they need us to come back to renegotiate; otherwise the registration will be held up. Is it legal for them to do this? What recourse do we have so they don’t increase the price of the car?

Asked on August 2, 2012 under General Practice, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states you are under no legal obligation to go back to the car dealership and re-negotiate a binding contract that is clearly to you advantage and to the disadvantage of the car dealership. You have a written contract signed by you and the delearship's representative. I would let matters stay as they are.

If the car dealership refuses to transfer registration of the car to you, I would consult with an attorney that practices in the area of automotive law to assist you on your legal recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.