How do we continue to stay ina house that is in my late father’s name if he left a $100,000 hospital bill?

He had no insurance.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your father passed away with a $100,000 hospital bill with no medical insurance, you can stay in his home. The issue is the need to probate his estate assuming he had a Will, or if no Will, you file a petition to administer his estate to see if the hospital submit a creditor's claim as to his estate for the $100,000 bill.

If there is no claim filed in the statutory time, the estate is not obligated for the $100,000 bill. I suggest that you consult a Wills and trust attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.