Customer not satisfied with work performed

I own a small business and I’m having a issue with a customer not being satisfied with the work we performed I offered to give him a partial refund of 500 dollars and he said that would be fine but I do not trust this customer from taking further action. We did everything in our power to satisfy the customer’s complaints. I want to know what type of refund document I need so I can have him sign it claiming he is satisfied with the refund offer that I offered him and that he won’t take any legal action with my business once receiving the refund we agreed on.

Asked on March 2, 2017 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

All you need is a simple document which states that the $500 settles all claims between the two of you and that he waives the right to sue you for anything occuring up to and including the date the document is executed (signed). Don't give him the money unless and until he signs--if you give it to him first, he can take it and still try to sue you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.