If custody of my oldest daughter is split between her grandmother, her father and myself, can she be adopted without me knowing anything about it?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The parents have to be notified of the adoption of their child.  They then have a right to show up and contest the adoption.  If the parents no longer have custody of the child, then the court appoints guardians, known in Texas as conservators, over the child(ren).  These people must be notified, as well, because they essentially step into the parental role of deciding whether or not an adoption is in the best interest of the child.  Since you are a parent of the child and a conservator, an adoption cannot move forward without you being specifically notified of the adoption suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.