What is my son’s liability regarding an injury that he was blamed for?

My son saw a portable basketball hoop by the road side of a house. He thought it was garbage, so he picked it up and put it in his truck. He had to take it apart to get it in. Just then a woman came out of the house and said that it wasn’t part of the garbage. So my son put it back together. Apparently, later the dad at the house was moving the basketball hoop and it fell on he and his son. The son broke his wrist. They are now blaming my son for not putting it back together properly. My son is certain that he did.

Asked on July 9, 2017 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your son was at fault, then he liable, or financially responsible for the injury and its consequences, including any medical bills, and if he does not pay voluntarily, they could sue him for the money. Based on what you write, he is most likely at fault: he was the last one to reassemble it; reassembled it shortly before it broke apart and injured someone; and had no right to take it apart in the first place. All those facts would support a court in finding him at fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.